Cardiff's City Hall stands in what has been acclaimed one of the finest civic centres in Europe.

The magnificent Edwardian City Hall is the finest building of this superb ensemble, but is actually the fifth to have served as the centre of local Government. Little is known of Cardiff’s original 'Guild Hall', but the second Town Hall stood in the middle of St Mary’s Street until it was replaced on the same site in the mid- eighteenth century. The fourth Town Hall, on the western side of St Mary's Street, was built in 1853 and remained in use until the present City Hall opened in 1904.